JOB TITLE: Head Men’s & Women’s Tennis Coach – Part Time
REPORTS TO: Director Athletics Intramurals & Recreation
The Head Men’s & Women’s Tennis Coach is responsible for the recruitment and retention of quality student-athletes. The head coach, in addition to all the requirements detailed in the responsibilities and duties section, is recognized as pivotal to, and responsible for, the record of the program as it relates to competitive scheduling, university/community relations and the enhancement and academic achievement of the student-athletes.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Directs all phases of the management and administration of the men’s and women’s tennis program.
- Adheres to and enforces all policies, procedures and guidelines of the University and the athletics department.
- Adheres to, along with assistant coaches and support personnel, the compliance of all University, NCAA and other conference association rules and regulations.
- Directly responsible for the retention and graduation of the student-athletes and coordinates with the academic liaison.
- Responsible for all areas of the sport’s budget including, recruiting, travel, and equipment.
- Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions as allowed by the NCAA and University guidelines. Utilizes sound teaching techniques in the preparation of games and practices.
- Coordinates all scheduling with the sport administrator.
- Coordinates team travel with and submits all budget requests to the Business Manager.
- Formalizes and executes an alumni outreach plan with the sport administrator. Coordinates fundraising initiatives (events, individual outreach) with the AD and sport administrator for the purpose of enhancing the operating budget and endowed scholarships.
- Oversees the conditioning and training of the student-athletes in conjunction with the sports medicine staff and adheres to all policies and procedures within the University’s health and safety program.
- Develops and implements strategies for motivating student-athletes to perform at their best.
- Responsible for identifying, evaluating, and recruiting potential student-athletes.
- Initiates the process for recommending financial athletic aid, the National Letter of Intent and the non-renewal/renewal scholarship recommendations. All documentation for non-renewal of disciplinary suspensions is the responsibility of the head coach.
- Conducts the performance evaluation of the assistant coaches and is the primary recruiter and recommends to the Athletic Director all hiring of staff members. Also monitors and coordinates the professional conduct of all coaches and support staff.
- Participates in public relations activities and works closely with the University’s athletic communications, marketing and fundraising programs. Attends athletic development/alumni functions, academic/athletic honors and other special events as designated by the University. Represents the sport program in the community as appropriate.
- Complies with policies and procedures set forth by Adelphi University, the Northeast 10 Conference, and the NCAA.
- Responsible for knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations. If found responsible for a violation of NCAA regulations, will be subject to disciplinary or corrective action, including termination if appropriate. Also may be responsible for any act or omission that may give rise to a finding that the University has violated an NCAA regulation.
- Position requires working weekends and holidays.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Campus Recreation.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload according to volume, urgency, etc.
- Ability to be organized and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to supervise students and assistant coaches.
- Knowledge of development priorities, rentals and general fund raising.
- Will abide by all University employment regulations and operational procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of NCAA policies, reporting requirements and processes.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as it is required.
- Thorough knowledge of NCAA and Conference guidelines.
- Must be able to conduct practice session.
- Must be able to demonstrate proper techniques.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 3 - 5 years of experience coaching preferably at the college level.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Student Workers and Managers.
- Part-time Assistant Coaches.
- Graduate assistants.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants must apply online at https://hr.adelphi.edu/position-openings/ to be considered. Please upload a resume and cover letter when applying.