Lake Superior State University - Head Men's and Women's Coach
Under the general supervision of the Director of Athletics and Associate Director of Athletics and to coach, recruit and promote the operation of the men’s and women’s tennis teams, and to assist in other athletic programs where feasible, warranted and desirable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tennis coaching duties include: implementation of a program that is consistent with institutional, conference and NCAA rules. Responsible for the development of players, team selection for match participation, and travel in compliance with all institutional rules and regulations.
- Responsible for notifying the Director or Associate Director of Athletics and the Building Manager in a timely fashion of a practice and match schedule, so that the administration of the facility may be carried out in a proper and orderly fashion. Responsible for recommending to the Director and Associate Director of Athletics a schedule that meets the institutional philosophy and the Intercollegiate Athletic Committee will approve that.
- Responsible for insuring that academic scheduling meets the needs of the student athletes and that the athletes’ scheduling is completed with the approval of appropriate academic counselors/advisors.
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of athletes. Recruitment will include a lot of travel and the expectation of bringing in high-level talent.
- Responsible for requesting housing for players through the Director of Athletics and the Housing Office, so as to insure quality living conditions for the student athletes in compliance with housing regulations. Responsible for travel arrangements and lodging for the teams, in conjunction with the Director of Athletics and the rules and regulations of the institution and the NCAA.
- Responsible for advising any booster organizations in compliance with the rules and regulations of the institution and the NCAA.
- Responsible for directing any assistant coaches, volunteer or paid, including recommending to the Director and Associate Director of Athletics the hiring, firing and performance evaluations of any assistant coaches and scheduling the travel of any assistant coaches.
- Responsible for presenting a budget, and working within the framework of that budget, as approved by the Director of Athletics. Major areas of budgetary control include equipment purchases, to be coordinated with both the Equipment Manager and the Director of Athletics, travel, recruiting, telephone, consultations,
guarantees, team costs during vacation periods, and rentals. Other areas include, but are not limited to, postage, printing, public relations, awards, subscriptions, advertising and miscellaneous items. Responsible for working with the Director and Associate Director of Athletics, Sports Information Office and the University’s public relations staff to promote the tennis programs.
- The Tennis Coach is expected to follow all rules and regulations of the Athletic Department, to attend all staff meetings, to follow the bylaws of the NCAA. For the purposes of coaching tennis, the NCAA for certification to recruit will test the incumbent annually. Institutional rules and regulations are those described in the University Procedures Manual. Annual Great Lakes Conference coaching meetings are required.
- The Tennis Coach will be given first opportunity to administer tennis camps and clinics during the summer months. Coordinating and planning such camps will be the responsibility of the Tennis Coach in conjunction with the Director of Athletics, the Sports Information Office and the Building Manager.
- Any outside activities such as fundraising, capital campaigns, hiring of staff will require consultation with and approval of the Director of Athletics.
Bachelor’s degree is required. Experience in college tennis coaching at the assistant or head coach level. Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.