Assistant Men’s Tennis Coach
The University is deeply committed to fostering a community of excellence, diversity, and inclusion. We welcome applications from members of underrepresented communities and other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives. Candidates must be committed to a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship both on and off the playing field.
In collaboration with head coaches and athletic administrative staff, assistant coaches plan practices to teach, encourage and develop student-athlete skills and game techniques. Responsible for developing in athletes an understanding of proper nutrition, personal health and safe strength development. Teaches 2-3 physical education courses annually. Identifies and recruits athletically and academically qualified student-athletes, scouts opponents, manages team travel, organizes community service activities and maintains parent and alumni communication. Coaches will demonstrate commitment to the W&L philosophy by emphasizing academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship on and off the playing field.
STATUS: Full-Time, 12 Month, With Benefits
WORK HOURS: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. with frequent evening and weekend hours as required by sport
MINIMUM PAY: $27,000 / annually
ESSENTIAL AND RELATED FUNCTIONS
· Coaches team members individually and in groups, and demonstrates game techniques. Manages designated skill development areas or groups of positions. Develops and recommends strategy, teaches theoretical skill and position assignments.
· Plans coaching and practice sessions in accordance with Conference and university regulations.
· Teaches 2-3 physical education courses annually as required for student graduation criteria. Substitute teaches as needed when requested by Head Coach and Director of PE.
· Promotes the athletics program and specific sport through community events, camps and public speaking. Teaches athletic skills and development through local youth programming.
· Mentors and advises student-athletes on personal health, strength training, and nutrition.
· Recruits quality prospective student-athletes and ensures timely submission of their academic records for admissions.
· Ensures compliance with all Association, Conference, and University rules by athletes and supporting staff.
· Communicates consistently with head-coaches, administration, and peers about program goals, status, and needs.
· Schedules and manages team travel, including lodging, transportation and meal arrangements in accordance with budgetary restrictions.
· Serves as an event manager for home contests.
A bachelor’s degree is required and a master's degree and collegiate playing experience is preferred. Must be committed to a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship on and off the playing field. Role models appropriate behavior and conduct to support the image and reputation of the athletics program. Strong understanding of various coaching techniques and a willingness to learn new methods of instruction. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
To view full job description, and to apply online, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/63342