High Performance Director
INTRODUCTION Tennis Ireland is the National Governing Body for the Sport of Tennis in Ireland.
We are seeking a proven international leader, driven by passion, purpose and pride to join the Tennis Ireland Team in the important role of High Performance Director for the organisation.
Tennis Ireland is committed to the development of tennis in Ireland. We present teams for international play in Davis Cup and Fed Cup, as well as a series of other junior and senior international team competitions. We also co-ordinate a range of programming and promotional initiatives aimed at stimulating participation in the sport.
In fulfilling its mandate, Tennis Ireland aspires to be a leader in sport development and an exemplar of the highest social and personal values of sport.
JOB DESCRIPTION This individual will need to effectively lead, develop and implement the high-performance tennis strategic plan and fulfill our mission of developing a system that consistently produces elite tennis players.
The position will report to the CEO of the company.
• Lead the national team programme to include Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Junior Tours and Team events
• Lead the high-performance tennis development club structure
• Enhance the talent pool and national training centre programme
• Lead the identification, development and nurturing of top talent
• Work with the coaching stakeholders to develop high level international coaches and leaders
• Work with Tennis Ireland staff and committees to achieve high performance competitive structure objectives
• Manage the daily operations of the department including the hiring, training, development and motivation of human resources
• Manage the performance programme budget with a focus on maximizing ROI
• Establish and maintain healthy and effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
• Be an active member of the Tennis Ireland senior management team
The ideal candidate will
• Have proven international results in system and player development
• Be able to demonstrate a results oriented, motivational leadership style and sets challenging but achievable personal and departmental goals
• Require excellent strategic and managerial skills; be able to develop and implement a vision and plan for success in an inclusive manner
• Have a track record of effectively leading change through influence and inspiration of others
• Possesses strong communication skills both from a written and verbal perspective
• Demonstrate high energy and ability to work at a senior level in fast paced and demanding environment
• Be confident and experienced in dealing with the media
• Be willing and able to travel nationally and internationally representing Tennis Ireland as required
• Have a playing history and an undergraduate university degree is advantageous
• Hold an internationally recognised coaching qualification
Tennis Ireland will offer a competitive salary, bonus and benefits package commensurate with applicant’s qualifications and experience
i. Plan, develop and implement a successful performance system in line with Tennis Ireland values
ii. Develop a four-year strategy and annual high-performance operational plans for approval by key stakeholders
iii. Prepare formal progress reviews as required and report to the Board of TI
2. Organisation and Management
i. Ensure the provision of optimal coaching, science medicine and lifestyle support to athletes on the high-performance programme
ii. Recruit coaching and support team with the skills and experience necessary to ensure that the goals of the high-performance plan are achieved
iii. Set and review annual performance objectives for all HP Staff
iv. Work closely with the Irish Institute of Sport to implement an optimal sports science and medical support structure which can be implemented nationally
v. Ensure good staff morale through effective people management practices and behavior
3. Coaching and Training Programme
i. Support the Davis Cup and Fed Cup Captains where appropriate ii. Communicate and implement appropriate selection policies ensuring fair and transparent selection of athletes for the high-performance programme and competitive events iii. Must stay abreast of latest research and developments in sports science and coach education
4. Competition Programme
i. Ensure the annual competition programme is planned and documented in advance
ii. Ensure that arrangements and support at competitive events funded or organized by Tennis Ireland allow performance athletes to perform to their full potential
iii. Attend all competition committee meetings to provide input and ensure the national training schedule matches up with domestic competition schedule
iv. Attend major domestic tournaments and international tournaments on a regular basis
v. Must remain informed of any changes to international tours, tournaments, rating and rankings that could impact Irish players
5. Talent Identification and Development
i. Develop, communicate and ensure the effective implementation of an appropriate talent identification, development and high performance programme across our four provincial branches
ii. Monitor and support provincial performance officers
iii. Design the strategic development plan for the performance centers
6. Athlete Welfare
i. Ensure the well-being and fair treatment of all athletes in the high-performance programme
ii. Ensure that appropriate support services (sport science, medical, psychological and other) are available to athletes and coaches as required
iii. Ensure that Sport Ireland Anti-Doping guidelines are integrated, and understood by all those involved in the high-performance programme
iv. Assist athletes to pursue career qualifications and/or experience where practical
v. Provide support to athletes regardless of their training set up domestically or internationally
i. Prepare an annual high-performance budget and secure key stakeholder approval ii. Ensure that the high-performance programme stays within its approved budget
8. Stakeholder Management
i. Ensure that effective relationships are developed and maintained with key stakeholders
ii. Work closely with Sport Ireland and Sport Ireland Institute
iii. Work closely with the individual coaches and college coaches of Ireland’s elite players
iv. Work closely with CEO and Commercial Manager on sponsorship and facility decisions which impact High-Performance tennis in Ireland
v. Co-ordinate and attend all High-Performance committee meetings
9. Coach Education
i. Mentor and support provincial coaches and top club coaches where possible
ii. Liaise with TI tutors to ensure that the content provided on courses is in line with regional and club high performance set-ups
iii. Coordinate specific teamed workshops to support the performance teams in the provincial programmes
iv. Develop camps and workshops for coaches to attend with their players at times throughout the calendar year
If you are interested in coming on board submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. Friday 26th July 2019.
Postal applications can be submitted to Aileen Rogan, Tennis Ireland, Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9. Please mark your application confidential.
Late applications will not be accepted.